Can I just say that I am totally excited that Summer is upon us. While the calendar says there are still 20 more days to go, in my planner, it is summer. I love Summer for so many reasons. Except for one thing:
The heat! Not so much because it is hot, but because of the amount of energy it takes to keep my family cool during those warm Summer days. And I plan to beat the heat this summer with a few simple tricks.
Thanks to the resources that Project Envolve provided, I was able to get a head start on beating the heat, which is a good thing as it is pretty warm out already. Make sure you visit the website to find some great tips,too.
One of the biggest things we did this year to beat the heat was to replace our old windows. They were not energy-efficient at all! And to make things even better, now that the windows are installed, we are in the process of adding room darkening shades and blackout curtains to keep the heat out and the cool air in!
Another major change we made in order to save energy is to switch to LED light bulbs. Did you know you’ll use up to 90% less every and can save up to $80 over the bulb’s lifetime? That is a lot of cool savings! PPL Electric Utilities customers can learn more about LED’s and get instant discounts at participating stores. By combining the LED light bulbs with our whole-house dimming system, our savings will surely add up this summer.
Other things we have added this summer to help beat the heat?
- Air vent deflectors.
- A cooling fan in our main living area.
- Changed our AC filter.
- Combined our LED lights with a programmable dimming system. Our lights will turn on as we are pulling in to our driveway thanks to a wonderful app. No more leaving the lights on when we aren’t home, and the system will only turn on the ones you need. Forget to turn them off? The app will let you know, and you can turn them off right from your phone. Energy savings galore!
These are simple things you can do in your household to help beat the heat. You can get these items at your local home improvement store, and they take just a few minutes to install. The savings you get will certainly add up.
Efficient Cooling Tips:
- Avoid setting your thermostat at a colder setting than normal when you turn on your air conditioner. It will not cool your home any faster and could result in excessive cooling, and, therefore, unnecessary expense.
- Consider using an interior fan along with your window air conditioner to spread the cooled air through your home without greatly increasing your power use.
- Avoid placing appliances that give off heat, such as lamps or TV’s, near a thermostat.
- Use a fan. Ceiling fans will allow you to raise the thermostat setting about 4 degrees without reducing your comfort.
How will you beat the heat this summer?
For even more money and energy-saving tips, be sure to visit the PPL Electric Utilities Pinterest board!
*I am a Project Envolve ambassador and receive product and/or compensation for these posts. All opinions and ideas are 100% my own! #Project Envolve #GetEnvolved
Be sure to see what my fellow Project Envolve bloggers have to share about their energy-saving tips this Summer: