We have been fortunate this Summer to be able to a bit of traveling. Last month, we started looking at colleges for my oldest son. It was a little bit hard to take because this Mom isn’t ready to admit that her baby is ready to spread his wings and fly.
Please tell me I am not the only one that feels that way about their first-born. Please?!?!?
So anyway, last month we took a trip out to The Pennsylvania State University to visit the campus and hear about what the college could offer my son.
Everyone knows about Beaver Stadium, right? My son is a big football fan, so this is definitely right up his alley!
But in any case, we have never been out to State College, so we took the opportunity to book a room at The Penn Stater Hotel the night before the tour so we could do a bit of exploring on our own. I am so glad that we did.From the moment we stepped into the lobby, our experience began. What a calm and relaxing area! I would love to see what the lobby area looks like during the winter when there is a fire roaring in the fireplace.
Perhaps in two years?
Check-in was a breeze. We originally booked the hotel room online as part of Penn State’s Spend A Summer Day program. We were a bit early for our arrival time, and they graciously were able to check us in. Here are a few highlights of check-in:
- Easy check-in. The staff was quick and efficient.
- Great recommendations. Since we have never been to State College, the staff member was able to give us a great map of the campus, and highlighted which route we should take. She also gave us a paper with a list of restaurants, and highlighted the ones our family should try.
- Personal Touch. They asked a few questions about who the lucky potential student was, and seemed genuine in knowing about my son.
- Always smiling! Everyone always had a smile for you. Really made you feel welcome!
Once we were checked in, we headed up to our room. I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. The picture that we had seen on the website did not portray how big the room really was. And wow, what a view we had from our room!
Our room was located directly above the hotel’s entrance, but you would not have known it. It was quiet and comfortable. Definitely great for me since I am not always the best sleeper when we are away from home.
My youngest son loved the pull-out sofa, which gave him his own space, and hubby and I didn’t have to listen to them fighting over blankets, pillows, or bed space. That was worth it alone.
I have to say, the bathroom space was really nice, especially the shower. I admit, I may have stayed in the shower a bit longer than I should have because the shower head they had was awesome! We also had enough towels, which is a big deal with me. In fact, we had a few to spare, which is nice.
So here are a few more things about the Penn Stater Hotel that make it amazing:
- It is a short drive by car or bus to the campus.
- They have 2 on-site restaurants and a gift shop.
- There is a pool.
- In-room coffee maker, mini-fridge, and sink.
- A nice desk area to work at, and free Wi-Fi. And the Wi-Fi was easy to connect to, which is more bonus points in my book.
- A beautiful entertainment center/clothing console.
- Closet with ironing board & iron.
Those are just a few of the many amenities available at the Penn Stater Hotel. Be sure to visit their website to read more.
So if your son or daughter is planning to visit The Pennsylvania State University and you need a nice place to stay, be sure to check out the Penn Stater Hotel. And be sure to check back soon, as I share our college visit experience on the college campus.