Looking for some great picture books for new Moms? Then read on. I love the new baby shower tradition where each person brings their favorite book to the baby shower, and putting a special message inside the front cover. I do recommend placing it on a book-plate, instead of directly on the book. Don’t paste the book-plate down, in case the new Mom needs to exchange it(I highly recommend getting a gift receipt for the book, makes it easier to exchange, and less hassle for Mom or Dad) for a new title. She can then place the book-plate herself.
I am always being asked what picture books I would recommend. Then want something new and unique, other than the obvious books like Goodnight Moon, Dr. Seuss, and Pat the Bunny Deluxe Edition (Pat the Bunny) (Touch-and-Feel). I always have fun with this because it gives me the chance to read and find some new titles.
Great Picture Books For New Moms
Here are a few I love to recommend:
- If I Could Keep You Little by Marianne Richland
- Oh, the Things My Mom Will Do. Also by Marianne Richland. This book must be accompanied by a box of tissues. Even seasoned Moms will find themselves bawling their eyes out while reading it.
- An oldie, but still worth a trip to any baby shower: Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. Tissue worthy, and great for Moms and Grandmas of ALL ages.
- And speaking of Grandmas. If you are looking to get a book to give at the next baby shower, look into How to Babysit a Grandma. Trust me, your grandchildren will want to pass this down generation after generation!
- And this book should make every list: The Kissing Hand. Gee whiz, you might as well send 2 boxes of tissues with this one. My kids teacher read this on the first day of kindergarten. There are already 22 Moms bawling their eyes out, and you add this? But it is such an awesome story, that it must be passed on.
- And one more. This is an oldie, and short, but the message is clear: You Are My I Love You by Maryanne Cusimano. Simple and sweet.
So those are just a few of the books I always recommend to give to new Moms. Yes, they may make you cry, but they are keepsake treasures that can be shared for many generations to come!
What picture books would you add to this list?
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a book through one of the links, as small portion will come back to me. It does not increase your cost, but it helps me offset the costs of running this blog.