A few years ago, I put a recipe on my blog for homemade sloppy joes. At the time, I thought it would be a great recipe, that everyone would want to see, and would get tons of page views. Nope, no luck. Why? I am almost embarrassed to link to that recipe, but if you click here, you can see why it flopped. Bad, right?
So I decided to re-do the recipe with real pictures, and real instructions. It is amazing how over the course of 2 years, I have learned to make better recipe posts on my blog. So let’s see if this updated post on homemade sloppy joes does better.
Good pinnable image? Check.
- Brown meat in a large pot. You can use ground beef, chicken, or turkey. We use the ground chicken.
- Add ketchup, mustard, and apple cider vinegar in small amounts. Stir thoroughly, then slowly add dark brown sugar. Taste a bit, then add a little more of each to taste. Stir in tomato sauce.
- Once mixed, spoon into a warmed crockpot. Allow 2 hours for it to warm before serving.
- Serve on your favorite roll. If you are watching your carbs, you can just eat it on a plate and omit the bread.
- 5 packages of your chosen meat: ground beef, chicken, turkey, or other
- 1 bottle ketchup
- 1 bottle mustard
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Apple Cider vinegar
- Dark Brown sugar
- Roll of your choice
- Brown meat in large pot and drain off fat.
- Slowly add ketchup, mustard, and vinegar, stir thoroughly.
- Add brown sugar a few tablespoons at a time, tasting frequently for the correct taste.
- Add tomato sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer to a warmed crockpot, and continue warming for about 2-3 hours.
- Stir thoroughly before serving on your favorite roll.
So there you are. An updated and mouth-watering version of my homemade sloppy joe recipe. The most requested food item on our party menu.