In honor of Valentine’s Day, I thought I would share one of my most treasured tip for keeping my marriage going strong. My husband and I are going on our 17th year of marriage. It has had its share of bad times, but the great times have far outweighed them. We are always laughing together, doing things together, and taking care of each other.
So what is this great tip? Flowers? Nope. Lots of chocolate? Uh uh. Diamonds? No way(although I wouldn’t say no). I’ll tell you what it is: Mario Kart Wii.
Yes, I am dead serious. Mario Kart Wii is great for your marriage. On many levels. In many ways. And, truth be told, it is a lot of fun. I wrote a post a while back about how playing video games with your kids is a good idea. Well, the same concept works for your marriage too!
Mario Kart Wii is great on so many levels. First and foremost, it is fun!! It provides hours of entertainment, for both kids and adults too! So how is it great for your marriage? Check out these reasons:
- You can spend time together as a couple. This is great for a “date night” on a weekend. We usually kick the kids out of the living room and take over the TV. The kids get it all the time, so it is only fair for us to have it.
- You can laugh with your spouse. Okay, watching your spouse drive off the road 7 times on Rainbow Road is enough to bust a gut. Add a few adult beverages in the mix, and it becomes twice as funny.
- You learn to work together when you are playing team races or balloon battle. You learn really quick that you and your spouse can work together to take everyone else out during a team race. Well, if you are on the same team that is.
- It is the only time hitting your spouse(with the blue shell or the occasional banana peel)is not only legal, it is encouraged. When your spouse is in first place the entire time, and you get to knock them out with the blue shell? Totally freaking awesome! Bonus? When you end up winning the race, you get bragging rights.
- You can relax and let your guard down. There is no pressure to be on your best behavior. And dropping the occasional profanity is very therapeutic
- You can connect with friends when you play online, and you can double the fun by Skypeing at the same time! My husband and I started playing online a few years back with his friends from work. Talk about fun. We added Skype into the mix, and hearing everyone’s reactions makes the game even more enjoyable. Imagine grown men and women yelling at each other over a red shell. And the women work together to gang up on the guys. Total hoot!
- Yelling at each other can be a great stress relief. Often we don’t get the chance to yell at each other because it can be taken the wrong way. Yelling during Mario Kart Wii is perfectly acceptable. And it can get the nasty thoughts out of your head, because you are reminded of all the fun you have with each other.
So these are just a few of the reasons why Mario Kart Wii is great for our marriage, family, and even friendships too! We are anxiously awaiting the release of Mario Kart 8 WiiU this Spring. More fun times, lots of laughs, and enjoying time together.