A while back I wrote a blog post, I’d Rather Be Blogging Than , because there are so many things I would love to avoid doing, and blogging is a great way to put off those tasks. However, it doesn’t make for a very neat or organized home. It can make a hubby grumpy, kids grumble, and Momma grouch. And that definitely doesn’t make home a happy place to be. I don’t want that for my family, or my home.
I really enjoy blogging, and interacting with my online friends. However, I have learned that anything over two baskets of laundry waiting to be folded and put away is completely unacceptable anymore. It’s actually a bigger time waster and space robber than if I would just take a few minutes to fold them and put them away. How do I know this? I’ve timed myself. Marla Cilley, aka The Flylady, advocates using a timer set for 15 minutes. Well, I’ve done this with my laundry, and it takes a little less than 15 minutes to fold and put away two loads. Yes, two loads! And it makes life much easier, because you are not wasting your time pawing through baskets looking for a particular shirt, or for a pair of matching socks.
As some of my followers know, I am a FT working Mom(at least for now. I am planning on going PT very soon!). My days off are supposed to be spent taking care of the house, cooking, and helping the kids. But lately, all I’ve done is blog, comment, and tweet. And the house reflects it. And I don’t want things to be like that anymore. I want my husband to look forward to coming home, not dreading it because he may or may not have to do laundry or load and unload the dishwasher. So then I came up with what I consider the most important things that I have to get done.
So after I decided that I am going to make a list called “My Have To Get Done’s”, I took a look around at what is the most obvious. It is a list of 5 things that I must do even before I turn on the computer on my days off. And 3 of the 5 have to be done when I get home from work before I can allow myself to read and comment on other blogs. So without further ado, I give you my list:
- Make the beds! Or, if the sheets need to be washed, then I have to strip the beds and toss them in the washer.
- Swish and swipe the bathrooms. Again, it’s a Flylady principle, but one that makes the bathroom look and smell clean. It doesn’t take that long to clear stuff off the counters, and take a Lysol wipe and swipe the grime away. And, a quick swish with a toilet brush to the inside of the toilet, and the stains and crud are history.
- Unload the dishwasher(or reload it if it’s empty) and wipe down the counters. Again, it’s makes the house look much neater, and smell much better.
- Fold and put away 1 load of laundry. Or start a load if something is overflowing. It really doesn’t take that long.
- Check for bills that are due. This one is self-explanatory. Hubby is even more busy than me, so it’s much easier to see what’s due, and pay them!
I figure that if I can do those 5 things each day, then I will have plenty of time the rest of the day to blog, comment, tweet, and friend. So do you have things that you do everyday? A daily routine? What are your have to get dones? I would love it if you shared yours!