I am so excited that our favorite trip to Wildwood, NJ is fast approaching. It is our favorite vacation because it is a true family experience. My family, plus my IL’s all go together. We share a house at the LeVoyageur Motel, and we couldn’t be happier about it. I often get these kinds of comments:
Why do you want to go to Wildwood? It is so boring
What do you mean you go on vacation with your in-laws. That must be horrible!
Really people, how can you be so mean? Sorry to burst your bubble nay-sayers, but we absolutely love it! How can you resist this house?
One of our favorite things to do while we are at the beach is to get up early and go hunting for shells. Or hermit crabs. Or whatever creepy crawlies my youngest finds on his trip. My IL’s go down with us, and it is a fun time by all. Partly because of scenery, mostly because of our time together, but also that my MIL prepares the perfect beachcombing bag.
As you know, the beach has a lot of sand. It gets in your toes, your shoes, and everything else in between. But it is oh so much fun to feel the sand squishing between your toes. Here are a few things to pack in a sack(I just realized those rhymed. Totally unintentional) to make your beach trip fun and easy.
This is what you will need:
- Small purse or backpack
- Two large ziplock bags
- 1 wet washcloth
- 1 dry towel
- 2 plastic bags
- Your camera
- Water shoes or old sandals
Here is what you do with all your supplies:
- Before you go down to the beach, thoroughly wet one of the washcloths and place it in the first ziplock bag. Take the dry towel and fold it neatly in your pack(We use a small backpack). Keep the plastic bags, and second ziplock bag together.
- After you walk to the beach, take your sandals off and put them in the first plastic bag, and put them in the backpack. By doing this you prevent sand from getting all over your bag.
- Walk along the beach, find those shells and place them in the second plastic bag.
- Continue to stroll along the beach, enjoy the sand squishing between your toes and the sounds of the ocean and seagulls.
- Take lots of pictures. I can’t wait to take some with my new camera. It’s still only a point-and-shoot, but I think it is going to take great pictures!
- Return reluctantly back to the boardwalk.
- Take the wet washcloth and scrub your feet down. When everyone is done, put the washcloth back in the ziplock bag.
- Use the towel to dry your feet thoroughly, take out your shoes, and place the sand towel in the second plastic bag.
- Head back to your motel and get ready for breakfast.
These are just some simple tips that work really well, and we have perfected them over the years. Well, my MIL did. She is such an awesome woman! So ready to see some of those awesome pictures? Well, here they are:
With a little bit of preparation, you can have an awesome beachcombing bag and make memories that will last a lifetime!