For the chicken:
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup hot sauce
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken parts
For the batter:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Canola, vegetable, or peanut oil for frying
Marinate chicken in buttermilk mixture:
Mix the buttermilk, hot sauce, salt, black pepper, cayenne, and garlic powder in a large bowl. Put the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture and coat completely.
Marinate at least 8 hours and up to 24 in the refrigerator.
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. In a large paper or plastic (sturdy) bag, mix flour with black pepper, cayenne, salt, and garlic powder.
A couple pieces at a time, add the chicken to the seasoned flour and shake until thoroughly coated.
Shake off any excess flour and let the dredged chicken pieces sit on a platter at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
Heat oil in thick-bottomed pan:
Meanwhile, heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet on medium heat (cast iron, stainless steel, or anodized aluminum—something that can take the heat). Heat until a pinch of flour gently sizzles when dropped in the hot oil (but not so hot that the pan is smoking), about 325°F. Remember when working with hot oil, always have a pan lid close by, just in case of grease fire.
Fry the chicken:
Working in batches, add the chicken pieces to the hot oil in the pan and fry until golden brown all over, about 8 to 10 minutes per side, flipping the chicken as needed with tongs.
When done, the meat should register 165°F in the thickest part using a digital thermometer.
Remove to a rack to drain excess oil:
Use tongs to remove chicken from pan. Place on a rack over a cookie sheet or a platter layered with paper towels for the excess oil to drain. Serve warm.
YOU MAY LIKE ALSO…..
- Cajun shrimp and steak
- FRIED RICE CHICKEN AND STEAK AND SHRIMP￼￼
- Baked legs with cream of mushroom
- Pan fried with garlic butter and potatoes￼
- Jerk chicken with beans and Rice
- STRAWBERRY CRUNCH CHEESECAKE CONES
- Henny Butter Shrimp
- Baked Ziti with Shrimp
- Cheese Shrimp Penne Pasta and Spinach
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever
- BEST HAM SANDWICHES YOU WILL EVER HAVE
- HONEY GARLIC TURKEY WINGS
- Cheesy Garlic Scalloped Potato
- STRAWBERRY CUPCAKES
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Brown Sugar Peach Cake￼￼
- OLD FASHIONED MEATLOAF
- CHICKEN SALAD SANDWICH￼￼
- Mexican Street Corn
- Baked Fried Chicken
- Apple Pie Biscuits
- HAMBURGER STEAK WITH ONIONS AND GRAVY
- Homemade Meatloaf ￼
- Stuffed Cabbages Rolls
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter
- Homemade Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks Recipe
- Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken
- The great banana pudding ever￼￼
- Spicy Southern Fried Chicken
- Pineapple Upside Down Cheesecake￼
- Homemade Hibachi Dinner
- Beef Stroganoff ￼