This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BTSwithHP #CollectiveBias
Choosing the right laptop for your child can be an overwhelming experience. You have a ton of questions that you may not know the answer to. Which one should he get? What type of processor will he need? And what exactly is an anti-virus?
Believe me when I say that I know how hard it is to choose the appropriate technology for your child(and for yourself, too). Thankfully I have a husband who is well-versed in purchasing the right laptop. He does his research, and isn’t afraid to ask professionals for help.
So when it came time to purchase a laptop for our soon-to-be senior in high school, I felt confident that he would lead us to the right laptop. Read on to see how we went about choosing the right laptop for our son.
As a senior, he is doing term papers, setting up college visits, and applying to colleges. Because of the time needed to do those, we decided that it was time for him to get his own. When it is time to get a laptop for your child, you need to ask yourself several questions:
What is our child going to be using it for?
Will they be watching videos on it or doing online classes?
Do they enjoy playing games on the laptop?
Once you are able to answer these questions, you will have an idea what you are looking for. Keep reading for some simple steps to help choose the right laptop for your student. It is a fun experience and and should be enjoyed by all.
Choosing The Right Laptop For Your Child:
- Make a list of what your child needs to use the laptop for in school. Will they be doing a lot of papers? Are their textbooks online? For us, the main uses for the laptop include:
*Preparing college applications.*Checking ACT and SAT scores, and registering for upcoming testing.
*Writing and preparing essays.
*Research and education. We recently visited a college, and he was able to use the laptop in our hotel room to do research on the college before we arrived.
- Talk with your child’s school to see what software your child may need, so you can see what kind of laptop best supports these applications. For our son, he needs the full Office Suite in order to complete his schoolwork. He also needed a laptop that could support high quality videos and vivid graphics, because most of his teachers use online videos to supplement their teaching.
- Discuss with your child about what they want to use the computer for.(because all work and no play makes life boring for children!). I don’t know about your children, but our son is a gamer. So when it came time for us to choose his laptop, we wanted to make sure it could handle his graphic intensive games.
- Visit a store to see the laptop in person. We knew that we wanted to get a HP laptop(we already have an HP Pavilion notebook that we use as our personal computer), and we found the perfect one at our local Walmart.These all NEW laptops are high quality, and Walmart offers it at very affordable prices. It is the perfect size and weight for a student to use at home, in their dorm room, or at the local library or bookstore. The HP Pavilion Gaming laptop checks off everything on our list.What this laptop has to offer:*A thin, lightweight design that is bold and playful. Perfect for my techie son, and shows off his sense of style.
*With the dual HP speakers, HP audio boost, and tuning by B&O PLAY, it delivers a rich and authentic audio experience. Awesome for my son(and my husband) to listen to his favorite music or for his gaming programs.
*HP Pavilion Notebooks meets strict energy-efficiency standards and helps reduce your carbon footprint. As a parent, that is extremely important to me.
*Whatever you are passionate about you can take it to the next level with this all-new Pavilion Notebook. It is packed with features that will spark anyone’s creativity.
*You can power through your day: Up to 7 hours of battery life keeps you going all day with charge to spare for your well-earned free time.
*6th generation Intel® processor. Enhance your computing experience with the latest processor from Intel.
These are just a few of the great options this HP Pavilion Notebook comes with.
- Once you decide on a laptop, help your child set it up. I know that if your child is anything like mine, they will want to tear into the box and immediately start playing. Show them how to register the computer so they can receive updates on software, or trace the laptop if it is stolen. My husband and I jointly decided to register it in our name, but you can handle it whatever way works best for your family.
- Take a few moments to discuss the proper care of their new laptop. Kids can sometimes be a little lax about caring for their electronics. Share with them about keeping their laptops clean so they will run in tip top shape. Things like:
And lastly, but probably most important, take a few moments to discuss online safety with your children. Here are a few things you can talk about:
- If you are using your computer in a public place, be mindful of your surroundings. If someone seems unusually close, close the lid. You may also consider buying a privacy screen filter.
- Never give your passwords to anyone(except your parents to keep them in a safe place).
- Don’t believe everything you read. Teach them how to recognize SPAM emails.
- Make sure your security settings are correct. If you don’t need to use it for a specific project, be sure to turn off your location settings.
- Use a private browser whenever possible, and delete your browsing history when you are finished.
So I hope that you found this post informative and helpful. I know I enjoyed sharing them with you. Thanks to Walmart and HP, I know our son will have a successful senior year and be well prepared for college and beyond.
Our entire family loves our HP Gaming Laptop from Walmart.com. In love with your HP? Be sure to share why YOU love your HP in a review on Walmart’s website and help other school shoppers make the right choice for them!