It’s always fun to decorate for the holidays, and it’s especially fun to decorate your place of outdoor relaxation. Even if you can’t sit outside all the time in your patio space, you can still have fun making it fun and inviting. Here is a list of ways that you can enjoy decorating your patio for the holidays.
One of my favorite things to do when I come home from work is to see the outside decorated. Usually I go crazy out front, but when the weather is nicer, I still like to sit out back and enjoy my patio space. We redid it a few years ago, and it is perfect for relaxing on.
During the Fall & Winter it ends up looking abandoned and lonely. So what better way to improve that than by decorating the patio. I don’t always get to decorating it for Halloween, but Christmas is a different story.
So I am happy to share with you some simple ways for decorating your patio for the holiday season.
Decorating Your Patio for Halloween
- Pumpkins – This is a classic decoration to put out on your patio for Halloween. To go a step further, you can carve your pumpkins. This is a festive decoration that many people who celebrate Halloween take part in every year. Place the pumpkins on the steps of your patio for passers-by to be able to see and enjoy.There are also some great pumpkins out there made of outdoor-friendly materials. If you opt for these, you will be able to enjoy them year after year. You can also have a mixture of the two if you enjoy having a jack-o-lantern to carve with your family.
- Giant spider web – This decoration will add a spooky element wherever you decide to place it on your patio. You can use a lot of different options for it: from spray cobwebs to plastic ones, you can even make one out of string. The sky’s the limit, so have fun with it.
- Skeleton greeter – This is another decoration that adds spookiness to the outdoor. You can place this on the steps of your patio or right next to the door. This is a festive decoration and is yet another classic. Bonus: make sure it glows in the dark!
- LED lights– Add a string or two of orange & purple LED lights(solar if possible) and it will increase the holiday feel of your patio space. The color combination is perfect for the Halloween feel, and adds a touch of spooky, too.
Decorating Your Patio for Christmas
- Pine cone garland – A great way to use this decoration is by either wrapping the garland around posts of your patio or by simply hanging the garland around the entrance to your patio. Both options add a festive element and will bring joy to anyone who sees it. A string of white lights adds the final touch.
- Pine cone planters – This is a simple way to decorate for Christmas. Simply fill a planter with pine cones and other Christmas decorations. Then put these planters wherever you feel they will look the best on your patio. If you want them to last longer, spray them with clear coat.
- Poinsettias – These are a great thing to add to your patio. However, if you live in a cold climate, you will have to get fake poinsettias as they can’t thrive in the cold. Simply place the outdoor planters wherever you please and you can even decorate the poinsettias with ornaments, ribbon, and garland.
- Christmas tree – Decorating a Christmas tree and placing it outside adds a very festive feel to your patio. You can decorate the tree with ribbons and ornaments that won’t break if they ever fall off from the wind. Add a spray or two of fake snow for the final touch.
- Christmas lights – This is a very classic decoration to add to your patio. It illuminates your patio, making it safer to be on at night, but it is also a very classic way to decorate for Christmas. You can place the lights wherever you like, including wrapping the lights around any post or banisters you may have on your patio. Make sure you use LED lights, as they are energy-efficient and last for many seasons.
- Wreaths – This is another classic Christmas decoration. This simple yet classic decoration looks very festive on doors, and can bring the element of Christmas outdoors. Adding lights and ribbon to the wreath will really make it festive.
So there are some simple ways to decorate your patio for the Fall & Winter holidays. These decorations don’t take a lot of time to put up, and if you shop for them the season before, are relatively inexpensive. If you are lucky enough to live where you can be outside during these holidays, decorating your patio for the holidays will be the perfect way to broaden your living space.