I don’t know about you, but I am totally excited about the evenings becoming longer. I totally enjoy being outside as much as possible when it starts to get warm. For one thing, it means that I can turn off the heat. And we all know that turning off the heat means a lower electric bill.
And who doesn’t love saving money, right?
So today, as part of my ambassadorship with Project Envolve, I am sharing with you fun family activities to get unplugged and save energy. I know that you will find them very fun, and even educational, as well. But don’t tell the kids that, let them think it is all fun and games.
So what kind of fun family activities can you enjoy while being unplugged? Be sure to read on.
I don’t know about you, but I may have a mild addiction to my electronics. Just a mild one. Okay, who am I kidding? A major one! I shudder to think about all the energy I am wasting by constantly plugging in my toys. So I am looking forward to getting unplugged and saving money!
Unplugging from technology can really be a difficult thing. It won’t be easy. You will be tempted. But just keep in mind that the energy you save in the long run will be worth your time.
Here are some fun family activities to get unplugged and save energy:
- Have a family game night. I love how this is an easy way to get the entire family involved. Whether it is a marathon game of Monopoly, a cut-throat game of Telestrations, or a good old-fashioned game of Rummy, family game night is a great way to get unplugged and turn off all those electronics.
- Volunteer as a family. Take time away from your favorite TV show or video game and go help someone in need. Whether it is at your church, or local baseball park, you can feel good knowing you helped someone else out.
- Get outside for a nature walk. This is a great way to get outside and get some exercise. We all know that too much TV or video game time isn’t good for you. So strap on your sneakers, grab your family, and head on out to see all the new Spring growth that is happening. You won’t regret it, and the time spent away from the electronics will help grow your savings account, too.
- Plan a family vacation. One of our favorite things to do is plan our favorite vacation to Wildwood. This is what we will be doing during our hour of unplugged time tonight. This year will be bittersweet for us: we have to leave early to take our oldest son to college. So, phones and TVs and laptops will be off. We have our guidebook and pen & paper all ready to go!
- Scrapbook a previous trip. I have to admit, I am great at taking pictures. But not so great at doing something with them. For those of you that are really crafty, take this unplugged time to create a scrapbook page from a previous trip. You just need pictures, glue, and scissors. Oh, and some imagination. If you lack the imagination, be sure to check out The Scrapbook Blessings Club .
I love that all these activities do not require you to be plugged in at all. And not being plugged in helps to save energy. Just think how those savings will add up. Maybe you can even squeeze in an extra vacation!
Join us today by starting your own #PPLPowerHour. Spend just one hour being completely unplugged. Turn off that TV, power down your laptop, put your tablet on the shelf. Our family will be participating tonight in our own unplugged time. I hope that you will consider doing the same! If you need some inspiration, be sure to check out these great posts from the Project Envolve bloggers! We will also be having a Twitter party on 4/5 at 8 PM EST, so be sure to join us so we can all talk about our #PPLPowerHour activities.
What fun family activities to get unplugged and save energy will you engage in during the #PPLPowerHour?