I have done quite a bit of reading so far this summer. My Nook and my email can attest to that, as can my husband. But I can’t help it, I love to read. A lot. When we go on vacation, I tend to have a theme as to what I am reading. As always, when we go to Wildwood, I always gravitate towards the beach reads. Sometimes when I am on the quest of my next great read, I spend some time reading websites like Goodreads or even a retailer’s website. I have found many a great read with this method. But often, it just better to head to a brick and mortar bookstore to peruse for that next great read. Earlier this summer, I shared my vacation reading list. Normally I will get through each and every one of those books on my vacation bookshelf. Let me tell you, a first has happened. I only read 3 books the entire time! Not because they weren’t good, I was just too busy having fun. So have you ever wondered through a bookstore wondering what you should read? Do you need some new ideas? Well, I am a bookseller, so I am going to share a few tips with you to help you decide on your next great read.
- Keep an open mind. It may seem like a logical idea, but sometimes we forget. Don’t go into the store and immediately head for a particular section. Stop inside the door, a little to the right(so you are not in anyone’s way or blocking the door), and just look around. Take it all in.
- Hit the new in paperback table first. Notice I didn’t say new release table? That is for a reason. Often new in paperback means titles did so well in hardcover that they needed to be re-released in another format because it was read by a lot of people.
- Take a moment to wander through the biography section. Believe it or not, these can make the best beach reads because you are reading for fun and relaxation. They are often humorous and engaging, and just plain entertaining.
- Now head back and hit the new releases/bestsellers. Since you have looked at other things, browsing the bestsellers may help you find a favorite author. My advice? Pick something you normally would read. Take a chance. You might discover something totally different that will keep you enthralled for hours.
- Head to your favorite section. Do this only after exploring everything else. If you absolutely need something to read, then go with the familiar.
- Have fun. That is the most important thing.
So these are just a few suggestions to find your next great book selection. Sometimes it is hard for even a diehard reader to find the perfect book to take with them to the beach, or anywhere else for that matter. You can turn it into a great adventure because you are shopping just for you!