Now that Fall is finally here, and the days are getting cooler, what better way to eat than some good homemade comfort food. You know, the kind that sticks to your ribs, fills you tummy, and makes you really content.
One of my favorites is my homemade macaroni and cheese. I serve it with a side of stewed tomatoes, and it is the perfect meal. Even my fussy eater goes in for seconds. Takes about 60 minutes from start to finish, and can be easily doubled or even tripled!
This recipe is so easy to make that I didn’t even need to do step-by-step pictures. And with 5 main ingredients, it is very budget-friendly as well. Moms with big families will certainly appreciate this! So here is the recipe for the macaroni n’ cheese. I will share the stewed tomato recipe at the end.
- 1 box spiraled rotini
- 2 large packs of Kraft American cheese slices
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 2% Milk
- 2nd kitchen timer, if available.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make rotini as directed, but set the timer for 1 minute less.
- Once pasta is done, rinse and put in a large oven-safe dish. Make sure you use a larger one, since you need to stir the recipe several times.
- Cut up the butter and place on top of pasta.
- Sprinkle parmesan generously over pasta.
- Open one pack of the American cheese slices and completely cover the top of the pasta. The more the better!
- Add milk to about ½ way up dish.
- Place in oven and set timer for 45 minutes.
- Set your second timer for 20 minutes. Open oven and stir macaroni thoroughly. Repeat the above instructions regarding the cheese layer.
- Allow to cook for remaining time. If you like your cheese a little dark, leave in for about 5 minutes longer.
- Set on counter and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve it plain, or top with stewed tomato mixture(see recipe below).
See? Simple and easy! This is a great recipe for teaching kids how to cook in the kitchen. And a great excuse for you to sneak in some extra cheese.
As for the stewed tomatoes, they are fast and easy, and can be made while the macaroni and cheese is cooking. All you need is a can of whole, peeled tomatoes, 2 teaspoons flour, a pinch of salt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and some pepper.
- Open tomatoes and pour them in a pot. Make sure you don’t drain the tomatoes first.
- Turn burner on low, and gently chop tomatoes up with knife.
- Add sugar and stir slowly.
- Whisk in flour, making sure you remove lumps(most will disappear once the mixture is thoroughly warmed).
- Add salt and pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
That’s it! I know your family will love it as much as mine! If you want to make it a complete meal, add a side salad, as well. But it is so rich and cheesy on its own, I doubt you will want anything else!
Need more dinner ideas? Check out these!