When your family is having a party, the host or hostess always seems to spend more time in the kitchen. Well I say that isn’t fair. So today I am sharing my recipe for homemade sloppy joes in the slow cooker. Not your favorite? Be sure to click to see other slow cooker recipes that may be perfect for your party.
Before I start sharing my recipe, I have to stress that you need crockpot liners. I can’t say enough about how they make clean up a snap. Especially if you have to run somewhere after dinner. I keep these in my pantry at all times, because I make crockpot recipes several times a week.
Homemade Sloppy Joes:
- Brown meat in a large pot. You can use ground beef, chicken, or turkey. We use the ground chicken.
- Add ketchup, mustard, and apple cider vinegar in small amounts. Stir thoroughly, then slowly add dark brown sugar. Taste a bit, then add a little more of each to taste. Stir in tomato sauce. If you want a little more zing, you can add a dash of garlic powder.
I like this brand of apple cider vinegar because you can use if for more than just cooking. There are many benefits of apple cider vinegar that makes it the perfect addition to your pantry.
And if you need a recommendation for garlic powder, I really enjoy this brand:
- Once mixed, spoon into a warmed crockpot. Allow 2 hours for it to warm before serving.
- Serve on your favorite roll. If you are watching your carbs, you can just eat it on a plate and omit the bread.
- 5 packages of your chosen meat: ground beef, chicken, turkey, or other
- 1 bottle ketchup
- 1 bottle mustard
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- Apple Cider vinegar
- Dark Brown sugar
- Roll of your choice
- Brown meat in large pot and drain off fat.
- Slowly add ketchup, mustard, and vinegar, stir thoroughly.
- Add brown sugar a few tablespoons at a time, tasting frequently for the correct taste.
- Add tomato sauce and stir thoroughly.
- Transfer to a warmed crockpot, and continue warming for about 2-3 hours.
- Stir thoroughly before serving on your favorite roll.
So there you are. A mouth-watering version of my homemade sloppy joe recipe. The most requested food item on our party menu. And because it is a slow cooker recipe, you can spend more time enjoying your party and less time in the kitchen.
And if you are looking for the perfect compliment? Check out this recipe for Bacon Cheddar Deviled Eggs. I couldn’t imagine anything this tasty was SO easy to make!