It is hard to believe that August is upon us. Families are still looking for family activities for the last month of summer before school starts. I know our family is. So I thought I would share a few ideas for some late summer family activities.
Water Family Activities:
- Often local swimming pools or waterparks have discounted days, so take advantage of them. Our local swimming pool has free swims in the early AM. It is usually pretty warm by 9am, so this is a great activity.
- Water balloon fights.
- Sprinkler fun.
- An old favorite: Slip n’ Slide
Outside Family Activities:
- Take in a little league baseball game.
- Take a walk around the block with your family and your dog(if you have one)
- Take a ride on a bike or even pull out those roller skates.
- Start preparing your garden to winter. Pull weeds. Harvest what you can.
- Sit outside with a glass of lemonade and just talk.
- Hit your favorite ice cream parlor for a treat, then sit outside talking.
Indoor Family Activities:
- Most theaters have a discount program during the summer, so take advantage of it.
- Rent a movie at home, make some popcorn, and just snuggle up together.
- Grab your favorite board games and have a marathon game match.
- Set up your video-game console and have an elimination match. Winner gets out of dishes for 24 full hours.
- Read a book and discuss things you liked or disliked about it.
Day Trip Family Activities:
- Head to your local zoo.
- Take time and go to a large outdoor flea market, and see who can spot the most unusual item.
- Take in a local sporting team event.
- Find a local outdoor concert, grab a blanket and a picnic lunch, and just relax and listen to music.
- Attend your town’s local fair. Have cotton candy, hot dogs, and any other food that you wouldn’t normally eat at home.
So these are just a few ideas for some late summer family activities. We have a few of them already penciled into our calendar, so I look forward to sharing what they were.