It is really hard to believe that Summer is over already. Well, the days off at least, as the thermometer is still reading 90 degrees or more at this time.
But that hasn’t stopped my kids from having to head back to school for another year. I really can’t believe that I have a junior and a freshman this year. Where has the time gone? In any case, after a hard day at school, my boys come home hungry! Right now, my oldest son is still heavily involved in fall baseball, so he needs to be fueled up and ready to go.
Today I am sharing some quick back-to-school snack ideas that will help keep your kids going after a long day at school.
GIANT Food Stores and MARTIN’S Food Markets has everything you need to share healthy & quick back-to-school snack ideas with your kids. I know a lot of kids tend to shy away from hearing that their snack is healthy, but once they taste how good these treats are, they will be asking for more!
Here are 3 of my favorite quick back-to-school snack ideas:
- Remember that cereal isn’t just for breakfast anymore. Having a bowl of cereal with low-fat milk is tasty and good for you. This treat takes only a few minutes to prepare, and it will keep your student going during that afternoon homework session. Giant Brand Crispers fit this need perfectly.
Want a little bit extra? Toss a few raisins on top for the perfect treat.
- Make your own trail mix. A simple trail mix of almonds, raisins, and sunflower seeds can be made ahead of time. Your child can come home from school and grab a couple handfuls and snack away. There is something really satisfying about the crunch of the almonds and the sunflower seeds that will keep your kids satisfied till it’s time for dinner.
- Don’t forget protein bars. I love that these bars are grab n’ go. If you child has a lot that they need to get done, they can grab a bar and take it to their study area. I love that my oldest can eat one before a game, and he isn’t over-indulging before he has to play.
But GIANT and MARTIN’S have more to offer your family than just quick back-to-school snack ideas. The nutritionists at GIANT/MARTIN’S are sharing some great recommendations for healthy food choices and dinner ideas that go beyond the quick back-to-school snack ideas. These include:
- One of the biggest time savers is menu planning. While it requires some extra work, the benefits will help take the stress out of getting dinner on the table on time.
- Plan your dinners based on MYPlate-be sure to include a veggie, protein, and a starch.
- On the weekend, prepare a large batch of favorite recipes by doubling or tripling the batch. Refrigerate or freeze in individual containers. Use them throughout the week to avoid take-out when dinner is needed.
- When grilling chicken or other meats, throw on extra servings to use during the week. Add to salads, soups or wraps.
- Buy produce in season and stock up when it’s on sale.
- Replace meat with beans for a less expensive and quick way to get lean protein. Combine beans with brown rice for a hearty meal or add lentils to soup.
- Fix it and forget it. Using a slow cooker is a great way to prepare a balanced warm meal that you can prep ahead of time.
For specific meal ideas, check out the latest edition of GIANT/MARTIN’S Savory Fast, Fresh and Easy™ magazine, available in store and online. You can also visit the GIANT and MARTIN’s websites, or visit GIANT’s Pinterest or MARTIN’s Pinterest pages for more delicious ideas.
Ready to head out and explore GIANT/MARTIN’S to find your own quick back-to-school snack ideas? Enter below to win a $25 Gift Card from GIANT/MARTIN’S. Hurry, contest ends 9/18.
What quick back-to-school snack ideas will you be incorporating into your after school routine?
*Disclosure: I received samples of the above products and a $25 gift card to facilitate this review and giveaway. As always, all opinions are 100% my own.