When you are a blogger, what is the one tool you can’t live without? A new laptop? A great camera? Those are all great things to have at your fingertips. But the one tool a blogger CANNOT live without is the Internet. It is our link to the world, and vital to being able to craft our posts. This past weekend we had the unthinkable happen: our Internet went down. I am sharing 7 things a blogger can do when the internet is out.
Okay, before you hyperventilate at the thought of having no Internet, take a deep breath and relax. It will be okay. I realize that it could be as simple as driving to your local Starbuck’s and connecting to their WiFi. That is great if you want to go somewhere, but if you are like me, one of the things I love about blogging is staying home and working on my own terms. When the Internet is out, it can mean loss of income because you can’t complete tasks.
So here are a few things that I did over the weekend to fill in the time until our local cable/internet provider came out and corrected the problems. I would delve further into that, but I would just get angry all over again. In any case, here are some things a blogger can do when the Internet is out.
7 Things A Blogger Can Do When The Internet Is Out:
- Do some housework! Okay, that may not be at the top of your list, but it is a good time to get things done. I washed, folded, and put away 3 loads of laundry. Cleaned up after the cats and scrubbed some stains on the floor. I also cut the grass, as well.
- Draft some posts to upload when the Internet is back on. Prior to this post going live, I sat down with my Word program and typed up 7(yes seven!) drafts that I saved. When we finally got the Internet back, I copied them to my editor, formatted them to my site, made a few changes, and added images. I have been more productive with my drafts in the past 3 days than I have over the past 3 months.
- Clean out some of your desk area. If you are anything like me, my blogging workstation consists of scraps of paper from brainstorming, post-it note reminders, and a bunch of pens. Having no Internet is a great time to straighten that area up. I also took some time to update my paper planner.
- Back-up files and photos to an external hard drive. I can’t stress enough the importance of this. Especially when you have kittens. How do I know this? Because I left my laptop open when I preparing to back-up my files and walked away. They decided to take a stroll on my laptop and managed to delete all my files. And I didn’t have it set up to put them in the recycling bin first. Yeah, it wasn’t a pretty sight. I did manage to recover some of them, but it was a hard lesson learned.
- If you use a paper accounting system, update your files for that month. Make a list of income or expenses so that when you are back up and running, you can spend less time on completing your information.
- Make a list of posts you want to update and republish. I just recently started an Excel sheet for this. I can open up my file, find one that is relevant, and make notes. If you don’t mind using the data on your phone, you can start doing some research.
- Make a list of keywords you want to use to improve SEO. I am the first to admit that I am terrible about coming up with keywords because I get distracted by the Internet. So I grabbed some pen and paper, and got to work.
Bonus task: Grab a book and do some learning about a blog task you want to improve. For me, it is SEO. So I took the opportunity to actually read some of the book I bought earlier in the year. While I am no expert, I can definitely say that I have more of a grasp on SEO now.